It’s no secret that when it comes to designing a home there are lots of decisions to be made – and if you’re anything like me, that can feel very overwhelming. Odds are, you have a general idea of the direction you’re headed. You have an idea of the way you want the front elevation to look, how many bedrooms you need, and that one niche design element that’s going to make all of your guests say, “why didn’t I think of that!?” But have you thought about whether or not the sewer will be connected or on septic (of course not, gross) or what sort of ceiling you want in the foyer (okay, maybe!)? Don’t worry – we have, and I’m putting all of the “decisions to decide” in a nice little list for you below. And if you’re a little extra and want to print it out, go for it!
A few things – under each room you’ll be asked what approximate size you’re wanting that particular area. I’ve put what the average size is, but if you’re unsure that’s okay! If you know what furniture or specific features you want (that relate to size) just list those. We’ll help you determine what size will best fit for the criteria given!
- Do you already own property or a lot?
- Can you provide a survey or plot plan?
- Will you want any site improvements? This can include: detached garages, outdoor living, landscaping, etc.
- Will sewer be connected or on septic?
What style of architecture do you like for the exterior elevation? If there’s not a specific style that you’re tied to, make notes of what design elements you like!
Low to moderate sloping gable roofs, rafter end ornaments, large porches with substantial columns, dormers, exterior siding including stone, brick, shingles and horizontal siding.
Simple building forms, steeply pitched gable roofs with dormer, large, one-story porches, simple ornamentation, and board and battan exteriors.
Low-sloping hip roof with large overhang, box like appearance, porches that span the entire front facade, and lap siding.
East Coast Traditional
Boxy building forms and common embellishments including simple cornices, wide window and door header trims with crown moldings, functioning shutters, and porch columns and balustrades.
Large verandas, double galleries, and balconies, high ceilings, tall crawlspaces, and porch columns.
Well-scaled courtyard, flat roofs, low pitched hip roofs with tiles, limited openings, stucco details, and eave brackets.
Do you have a preference on the exterior materials used?
- Wood Siding
- Board & Batten
- Cement siding
- Vinyl siding
- Asphalt shingles
- How many cars do you need to accommodate? What type of cars?
- Do you need extra storage space? (If so, how much and what for?)
- Do you need a golf cart space or workshop? (If so, what size?)
- Do you need a safe room in the garage? We recommend metal, if desired.
- Would you like a 1/2 or full bath located here?
- Do you need a side door or back stairway located here?
- Do you need any other special features? (coat closet, storage, drop zone, mud room, etc?)
- Approximately what size kitchen do you need? Standard size – 10 x 16
- Do you want the sink located near a window or on an island?
- Do you want a breakfast bar? How many seated?
- What appliances do you need besides the usual appliances? (Warming drawers, microwave, double oven, cook top, ice maker, etc.)
- Do you need a desk?
- Do you prefer standard cabinet pantry or a walk-in pantry?
- Do you want the kitchen open to another room? (Breakfast, family room, etc.)
- How do you want your kitchen shaped? (Galley style, L-shape, U-shape, with island)
- How many people will the breakfast room need to accommodate?
- Do you need room for furniture in the breakfast space besides the table?
- Is there any special ceiling treatment or feature you would like incorporated in the room?
- What approximate size do you want your laundry room? Standard size – 6 x 8
- What features would you like in your laundry room? (Ex. sink, shelving, island, fold down ironing board, pet washing station, etc.)
Family (Great Room)
- Approximately what size would you like the family room? Standard size – 18 x 20
- Do you need any base cabinets or bookcases?
- Do you want a fireplace? (wood burning, gas-ventless, gas logs)
- Do you want any special ceiling treatments in the room: flat, vaulted, coffered, tray, or exposed beams?
- Do you want the family room open or closed off from the kitchen?
- Do you want a wet bar located here?
- Do you need a sunroom, if so what size?
- To which room(s) would you like it to connect?
Formal Living Room (if desired)
- What size would you like the living room to be? Standard size – 18 x 20
- Do you need a fireplace? If so, wood burning, gas-ventless, or gas logs?
- What kind of ceiling would you like in the living room: flat, vaulted, coffered, tray, or exposed beams?
- Do you require any special features in the living room?
Formal Dining Room
- Approximately what size do you need the dining room to be? Standard size – 12 x 16
- How many people will the dining room need to accomodate?
- Would you like an special ceiling treatment in the dining room: flat, vaulted, coffered, tray, or exposed beams?
- Do you need a butler’s pantry or a China cabinet area?
- Do you need a fireplace in the dining room?
- Approximately what size do you need the foyer to be? Standard size – 8 x 10
- Do you want a staircase in the foyer? If so, would you like it straight, L-shape, or curved?
- What type of ceiling do you want in the foyer: flat, vaulted, tray, or exposed beam?
Study/Library (if desired)
- Approximately, what size do you want this room?
- Do you want cabinets and bookcases in the room?
- Do you need a fireplace in the room?
- Where would you like this room located?
- Where do you want the master located?
- Approximately what size do you need the master to be? Standard size – 14 x 16
- Do you need a sitting room as part of the master bedroom?
- Do you need any built-in bookcases or cabinets in the bedroom?
- Do you need a fireplace in the bedroom? Ex. wood burning, gas, ventless
- What kind of ceiling treatment do you want in bedroom: flat, vaulted, coffered, tray, or exposed beam?
- Are there any features you need included in the master bedroom?
- How many furniture walls will you need in the bedroom?
- Do you want a garden or soaker tub?
- Do you want a separate sinks & vanities or separate sinks and one vanity?
- Do you need a make-up/dressing table?
- What type of shower do you want? Regular or steam?
- Tub/shower combo? Shower closet? Shower/tub room?
- Linen cabinet or closet?
- Approximately how much linear footage of hanging space do you need?
- Do you want one large closet or separate closets?
- Do you prefer access to closets from the bedroom or bathroom?
- Do you need built in drawers in shelves in closet?
- Do you need any specialty items? Ex. ironing board, washer/dryer, cedar closet, safe, safe room
- If possible, do you need access to the laundry room from master bedroom/closet?
- Approximately what size do the rooms need to be? Standard size – 11 x 12
- How many bedrooms will you need?
- Will these rooms need walk-in closets, desks, bookcases, vaulted ceilings, or window seats?
- How many full bathrooms will you need?
- How many 1/2 baths will be needed?
- Will any baths need to be Jack & Jill style?
- Will you need any other rooms finished such as playrooms, rec rooms, exercise room, etc?
- How much total square footage do you presently have?
- How much square footage do you believe you will need?
- Approximately, what is your budget range for the new home?
- Approximately, what date do you need to be in your new home?